Welcome to the Scugog Lake Stewards
WHO ARE WE:
Scugog Lake Stewards Inc. is an all volunteer group dedicated to sustaining and enhancing the health of Lake Scugog, Ontario and its watershed through the promotion of projects, research, education and community stewardship. It is a charitable organization incorporated in 2003 and audited annually.
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING INFORMATION, held Thursday, September 24, 2020 by Zoom conference call. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- Audited statements for the year ending Dec. 2019 2019 Financial Statements approved
- Annual Report: 2019 Annual report presented Sept. 24, 2020
- Presentation to AGM of results of 3 years of Lake Scugog research by Dr. A. Kirkwood, on YouTube: https://scugoglakestewards.com/lake-scugog-research/
WATER LEVEL INFORMATION AND DROUGHT CONDITIONS
For water level graph as of September 24, 2020 and updated commentary, see our website at: https://scugoglakestewards.com/other-projects/
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Lake Scugog is under pressure from many directions; time and its history are working against it and especially this year from drought. There are the pressures of increased population, invasive species and climate change; all of which are big factors for the continued health of our beautiful lake. (For additional information we have many videos posted on YouTube)
Every one of us can help whether we own lakefront property or not. Some ideas are to:
- Do not water your lawns whether you are on well water or municipal water.
- If you do water, water deeply and during the evenings or early morning, otherwise much just evaporates. Encourage deep roots.
- Protect your shoreline, stream, river edges and ditches from erosion into the lake. Create naturalized buffer areas using native plants to reduce erosion and provide habitat including host plants and food sources for pollinators….while visually enhancing your property.
- Percolate stormwater into your own property rather than into storm sewers.
- Avoid using fertilizers as they stimulate the harmful growth of lake plants and algae growth in the lake.
- Clean, drain, dry your boat before and after enjoying the lake.
- Promote the importance of a healthy Lake Scugog to government, community and friends. Be part of the change.
Large grant received for the LAKE SCUGOG ENHANCEMENT PROJECT.
OUR STRATEGIC PLAN FOR 2020-2023 Final Strategic Plan, 2020-2023,
OUR LAKE RESEARCH GOALS 2020 see https://scugoglakestewards.com/lake-scugog-research/
Our mission is to preserve, protect and enhance Lake Scugog. Our lake, like others, is filling in over time. It is our job to work with partners to ensure the lake remains healthy and attractive for future generations.
Rob Messervey, President
If we are to know what to do for the lake, we first must understand it. We are fortunate to have excellent support and partners to do this. Enjoy the information on this site and our Youtube Videos.
Over the years, work will be carried out to help our lake. The first improvement must start where the need is greatest for the whole lake, Port Perry Bay, through the Lake Scugog Enhancement Project.
Become a Member / Donate