Your Septic System
General Septic System Information:
If you are building a new system or up-grading an old system, be sure you check out all the options. There are so many more new techniques that are both possible and allowable to reduce the footprint of a leach field to fit systems onto small or irregular lots, or lots with trees that the homeowner wants to keep, sloped lots or low lying lots. Push the envelope and get the smartest and the best. It may be more expensive in the short run, but much more worthwhile in the long run. Try if at all possible to avoid having your home on a holding tank. Tank pump-outs (approximately $350 per month as at Nov. 2018) are increasingly expensive and our lifestyle of water using equipment and personal hygiene just does not relate to such restrictive use leading to some taking drastic and non-permitted actions that are very bad for the lake.
Possible Funding for up-grades:
If you are up-grading your system, you may be eligible for some funds from either the Township of Scugog (http://www.kawarthaconservation.com/scugog-water-fund ) or the City of Kawartha Lakes.
Resources from FOCA:
Courtesy of the Federation of Ontario Cottagers’ Associations deep resources on septic system management. Thank you FOCA. Check out Durham Region Health Department permits and information as well at: https://www.durham.ca/en/health-and-wellness/sewage-and-septic-systems.aspx
- Septic Systems – a FOCA Factsheet (PDF; 2 pages)
- Septic Smart: Understanding your home’s septic system (PDF; 12 pages)
- FOCA article, “Managing waste from septic systems” – from the Winter 2015/16 edition of Onsite, the Ontario Onsite Wastewater Association’s Newsletter
- Help! I need a new Septic System (PDF) – an excerpt from the FOCA Newsletter, Fall 2011
- Sewage System FAQ (PDF; 11 pages) from the Mississippi Rideau Septic System Office
- Septic Systems 101 (PDF; 37 pages) from the Ontario Onsite Wastewater Association
- On‐Site Sewage System Maintenance Inspections (PDF; 7 pages) from MMAH
- Source Protection Plans and Septic Maintenance – Progress, Challenges and Lessons Learned This article provides a summary of current septic system inspection programs across Ontario (source: Ontario Onsite Wastewater Association Newsletter – Summer 2015)